This is a mini-guide to installing Windows 7 (or Vista) on the IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T43.
PLEASE NOTE that many (most?) of these links do not work any more. Lenovo and others have moved many of the files around on their site.
Note: This can apply to many systems with ATI graphics. It works on my ThinkPad T43 (Mobility X300), my 2006 MacBook Pro (Mobility X1600), and an old iMac I have at work (Mobility X1600).
* ATI Mobility Modder Tool: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php/
* ATI Catalyst 10.2 Drivers (“Legacy”). These work for 32-bit Windows 7: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx
An issue I had when I installed updated ATI drivers was that lower resolutions would no longer scale to fit the screen.
To fix, follow these steps:
1) Open RegEdit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
2) You will notice sub-keys like “NOEDID_1002_71C5_00000001…”. This will vary on each system. Drill down into those keys and look for a DWORD called “Scaling“.
3) This will be set to Hex ff (255). Change them to 3. There may be multiple “Scaling” DWORD entries under other keys similar to the one in step 2. Change those to 3 as well.
Now change your resolution to a different one. If you are using an external monitor, you may need to change your refresh rate (60Hz to 70Hz, etc).
Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update 4.0 can help automate driver and software updates on the ThinkPad T43 under Windows 7.
You can get it here:
Back in April 2009, I started a thread on the ThinkPad Support Community forum.
You can view that thread here:
The original post was from April using a mix of beta, pre-RC and RC release installs.
I updated the post on there on August 30th, 2009 with information on getting Windows 7 RTM (the final version) working on a ThinkPad T43.
I’ve been using build 7600 (RTM) without any issue so far on my ThinkPad T43.
There are a few necessary steps for getting Windows 7 (or Vista) working perfectly on the ThinkPad T43. Unfortunately, it’s not as a simple as installing Windows and going with defaults, as some drivers aren’t installed by the OS, and some of IBM/Lenovo’s design choices require their special software installed for everything to work.
I use a T43, 2668-71U. This is the one with the ATI video card. Setup should be similar to the T43 systems with Intel video.
Lets start at the beginning.
With a clean install of Windows 7, you end up with these missing their drivers in Device Manager:
– Biometric Coprocessor
– Network (Intel WiFi)
At that point it was just easy for me to plug in an Ethernet cable and then hit Windows Updates.
Windows Updates will find drivers and/or driver updates for these devices:
Audio – (SoundMAX Drivers)
ATI Radeon X300 Drivers
Intel WiFi – (184.108.40.206, 6/23/2006)
ThinkPad Power Management Driver (Old)
56k Modem Driver
Updated ThinkPad IR Driver
Updated Bluetooth Driver
Fingerprint Coprocessor (new since Beta)
Go ahead and install all those, and reboot.
After you reboot, you will find just one missing driver now:
– Unknown Device (ACPI\NSC1100\4&21d0e4f8&0) – Winbond Trusted Platform
For the “Unknown Device”, grab the Winbond Trusted Platform drivers from here:
Less than 1 Meg, Version 220.127.116.111, 2007/01/26 (Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Win7)
There. All drivers installed. Now, for some updated drivers and software.
1) System Interface Driver
2) Power Management Driver (this is newer than the one on Windows Updates)
3) HotKey Driver & Apps
4) ThinkVantage Active Protection System (Hard Drive “Air Bag”)
5) UltraNav Driver (to enable middle-click and 2-finger scrolling)
6) Power Manager (to show Battery on Task Bar along with power control)
7) Intel WiFi Drivers & Apps (for Fn + F5 to work, grab 11.05.0)
I recommend these programs:
Logon Screen Changer
TP Fan Control (if your fan is too loud)
SharpKeys (to remap keys, if you want a Windows Key)
Everything works great for me with Windows 7. And yes, even the Fn+F5 key brings up the window to turn off and on my Bluetooth and WiFi adapter.
Please, let me know if this helps you any setting up Windows 7 on your T43.
Update, February 2012
Updated Fingerprint scanner drivers & software not picked up by the Lenovo System Update utility: